Re: [Hampshire] Debian Kernel upgrade

Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian Kernel upgrade
On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 at 07:41:58PM -0500, Andy Random wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I did an update on a Debian Stable machine today (for the first time this
> year) and it pulled in a new kernel version.
>
> #uname -a
> Linux mouse 2.6.18-5-686 #1 SMP Tue Dec 18 21:24:20 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
>
> Given the date there I assume that this isn't a kernel patch for the
> recent local->root exploit but some other earlier kernel security update?

According to: http://www.debian.org/security/2008/dsa-1494

It looks like the new Debian kernel issued on 11 Feb is fixed for
the vmsplice bug.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

I never really understood how there could be things that would
drive you insane just because you knew them until I ran into Windows.
    -- anon