Re: [Hampshire] Which Distro ?

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Which Distro ?
Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 15:13:20 +0000, "Stuart Sears" <stuart@???>
> said:
>

>> talk about ubuntu, so I won't :).
>> Although, actually, maybe I will... it seems from general discussion
>> that *buntu is more or less the defacto distro around here, so there's
>> always the aspect of community support to consider.
>>

> Quite a disageable statement. then Windows is the de-facto o/s...

I beg to disagree with your disagreement: there are a lot of *buntu and
Debian users on the list and selecting a Debian-based distro will put
you in a position to take advantage of the combined experience and
knowledge of those folks (I wonder, do we have any numbers from the
survey we did a while back? Not sure if they are still current mind...
is it time for another?).

Anyway, that said, there are plenty of smart people here using other
distros too, so any advantage gained in that respect is going to be
fairly minimal.

Someone else has already made the point, but there has been a leveling
out of the advantages offered by one distro over another in recent years
to the point where all of the big names offer good installers and a good
selection of applications for the average user.

Sean