Re: [Hampshire] Which Distro ?

Author: hantslug
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Which Distro ?
On Monday 18 February 2008 13:56, Russell Gadd wrote:
> I am trying to decide on a distribution to use for my home PC and would
> welcome comments on the following.

[snip]
> My natural choice would be Debian Etch. However, although it is by no means
> the only package I want to run, a major problem is that I need to run
> Gnucash version 2.2 so as to use the data files I have set up in Windows
> and the version in Etch is only 2.0 which is incompatible.

Is it available as a back-port? That was how I used OOo 2.x.x on Sarge.

[snip]

> Fedora
> - upside: major distro, has selinux support, presumably benefits from Red
> Hat connection
> - downside: haven't run this, no experience of packaging system, have
> heard a comment that it is used by Red Hat as a test bed for new things, so
> how stable is it?

Have you considered CentOS or White Box? Based directly on Red Hat, and able
to use Red Hat packages, and therefore have long term support. 4 or 5 years
left to run I think before security updates become unavailable. Less cutting
edge than Fedora. I'm afraid that I don't know what version of Gnucash they
currently have, but there are several others on this list who almost
certainly either do or could easily find out

HTH
Lisi.