Re: [Hampshire] Backup solutions for Ubuntu

Author: John Hunt
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Backup solutions for Ubuntu
I've been using rsync for a couple of years to handle my backing up. I
wrote a script based off this one[1]!

The --link-dest hard linking feature is absolutely great, I keep my
server and desktop machines backed up to an external usb disk. It's
fantastic as I have 7 days of backup (my external hard disk isn't very
big) for both my server and desktop. I was using 30 days, but that
proved a bit too much.

You have to take into consideration how much change there will be on the
filesystem/dir struct you're going to back up. If there's a lot of
change then having many snapshots takes a lot of space, otherwise if
you're just changing the odd text file/word doc or whatever it's fab...

Can't recommend it enough! Because of the hard linking you also save on
transferring everything every time you backup, so it's quick most of the
time.

</blather>

John.

p.s - Remember to use --dry-run before you do anything you might regret!

[1] http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/

--
John Hunt - johnrhunt@???
http://john-hunt.com/