Re: [Hampshire] Re: Application installers

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re: Application installers
> I haven't used pure Debian for a while, but I am glad Debian is there,
> doing what it does and sticking to its guns. The notion of a world
> governed solely by market forces troubles me deeply - I want music that
> never makes the chart, art that offends and free software that cares
> about odd architectures and quality, and not about what Microsoft say.

Yes, that's all well and good - but this isn't about an assault on
Freedom, this isn't anyone trying to sneak anything past anyone, this
isn't about anyone trying to do anything unethical.

This whole thread is just about trying to deal with the Debian package
builder tools, and some rather arbitrary rules they enforce.

> The notion of Debian bending the rules for every software developer
> wanting to include their software in the distro certainly is an
> intriguing one!

But no-one's asking for that - despite what some of the more vitriolic
posters would have you believe.

I'm simply trying to deal with some rules that make no sense at all to me.
And the result is that I will be able to supply far more assistance to
those who don't use Debian - simply because the Debian Policy Manual makes
it difficult for me to be as helpful as I would like to be.

Vic.