Re: [Hampshire] Re: Backup solutions for Ubuntu

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re: Backup solutions for Ubuntu

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x583e1100.hantslug.org.uk.30858': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Feb 25 01:30:14 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi,

On Sun, Feb 24, 2008 at 01:54:29PM +0000, Jon Wilks wrote:
> May I recommend dirvish? http://www.dirvish.org

Also there is rsnapshot which is similar. Either one is probably
better than reinventing the wheel, if you haven't done so already..

Something to be aware of is that whilst this technique is very
handy (and I use it myself for about 60G of backups), it doesn't
scale very well:

- you end up with a directory structure containing several million
files; hard links may be almost free for disk space but they are
not free in terms of time needed to work on the resulting
directory tree. It's easy to end up with a tree so big that rsync
swallows all your memory and crashes your machine just when trying
to iterate through it to see what changed.

- even given two files of identical content, rsync will not consider
them identical if metadata (times, ownership, permissions, etc.)
differs. You do find yourself collecting many copies of such
files.

I've had a brief look at backuppc which offers a similar way of
working, but stores file data and metadata separately so that
duplicate files from anywhere on any host are only ever stored once.
It may well scale further, at the cost of introducing its own
storage format that is not as simple as a normal filesystem
directory.

Other than that, I gather from the UKUUG File & Backups talk last
week that Bacula has come on leaps and bounds in the last couple of
years since I last looked at it. That's a more traditional backup
program, similar to commercial offerings line Netbackup.

Cheers,
Andy