[Hampshire] A different virtulisation question

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] A different virtulisation question

Hi,

I have another slightly different question to Rob's on virtulisation.

Any recommendations for virtulisation software to run on Windows XP and
let me run a Linux virtual desktop?

Probably something Red Hat-ish (Centos/WhiteBox/Fedora) though Ubuntu
might be also be of interest.

I know this is like building your house on quicksand, but I'm not allowed
to run a Linux desktop at work (though we have an increasing number of
Linux servers in the department) but do have a fairly reasonable
(3GHz/2GB) XP desktop machine and it would sometimes be useful to have
access to a Linux desktop virtually.

I've dabbled with Damn Small Linux and QEMU before, but probably need
something more main stream than DSL to be of real value and haven't tried
any of the other virtulisation options under XP.

So any experience of doing this? Any Recommendations?

Andy