Re: [Hampshire] Re: Application installers

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re: Application installers
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 18:53:48 -0000 (-0000), Vic wrote:
> So my source package should just contain the libbar tarball, my patches,
> and some build scripts, right? That's what the source RPM does. But the
> Debian packaging system requires all the files in the source package -
> which are all listed in the .dsc file - to be called "libfoo<something>".
> So I cannot just include the upstream tarball - the package will not
> build.

Er, maybe I'm missing something here but what I do is:

a) rename upstream tarball to libfoo_1.2.3.4.orig.tar.gz
b) explode tarball into libfoo-1.2.3.4
c) patch, put debian directory in place with rules file etc
d) dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot
e) that generates libfoo_1.2.3.4-1.diff.gz and the .dsc file

Which means I have pristine upstream tarball, diff and dsc. Which is
what you asked for AFAICT.

Whilst I like rpms ability to have multiple patches, I don't like the
way they include the source tarball (since that's normally a large
file) I want to download that separately.

Adrian
--
Email: adrian@??? -*- GPG key available on public key servers
Debian GNU/Linux - the maintainable distribution -*- www.debian.org