Re: [Hampshire] Re: Application installers

Author: Vic
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re: Application installers
> a) rename upstream tarball to libfoo_1.2.3.4.orig.tar.gz

So it's no longer pristine. You've lost some traceability.

> Whilst I like rpms ability to have multiple patches,

It does make tracking multiple changes very much easier...

> I don't like the
> way they include the source tarball (since that's normally a large
> file) I want to download that separately.

Well, I'd rather download the whole lot together. I can't think of a
single instance where I've wanted to build a SRPM having already
downloaded the upstream tarball.

On occasion, I would want to build a new package, using the spec file from
an older one as a start. In that event, and in the event that I can't find
the spec file separately (usually can), it's hardly a great overhead to
start from a fully-working model...

Vic.