Re: [Hampshire] Virtualisation

Author: Simon Capstick
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Virtualisation
Rob Malpass wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Thanks very much for all these replies - as ever there's more to it than
> meets the eye so I'll download the talks now.
>
> Cheers
> Rob

Processor and memory are relatively cheap compared to disk random I/O
performance. It's worth thinking about possible performance problems
with your disk I/O. If each of your six old boxes frequently runs at 50
random disk I/Os per second then your new virtualised box will need a
disk capable of at least 300/s. I don't think any normal (cheap)
off-the-shelf SATA disk can do that yet. Someone please correct me if
I'm wrong on that, I might buy a few :-) You may need (software or
hardware) RAID to keep up with the combined disk I/O load of the virtual
machines.

Simon