Re: [Hampshire] Re: Application installers

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re: Application installers
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 10:07:37 -0000 (-0000), Vic wrote:
> > a) rename upstream tarball to libfoo_1.2.3.4.orig.tar.gz
>
> So it's no longer pristine. You've lost some traceability.

Er, it's a filename change. Run md5sum on it if you care.

> > Whilst I like rpms ability to have multiple patches,
>
> It does make tracking multiple changes very much easier...

You can do it in debian using various tools like cdbs (IIRC) if you
wish. But there is no "official" way.

> > I don't like the
> > way they include the source tarball (since that's normally a large
> > file) I want to download that separately.
>
> Well, I'd rather download the whole lot together. I can't think of a
> single instance where I've wanted to build a SRPM having already
> downloaded the upstream tarball.

That's happened to me many times - I often download the new upstream,
read the changelog, then decide "yes, I'll update this" - I don't want
to download an SRPM with the old tarball. Just the diffs.

> On occasion, I would want to build a new package, using the spec file from
> an older one as a start. In that event, and in the event that I can't find
> the spec file separately (usually can), it's hardly a great overhead to
> start from a fully-working model...

spec + patches, but now you are asking your repositories to store both
the srpm and the split-up srpm.

Adrian
--
Email: adrian@??? -*- GPG key available on public key servers