Re: [Hampshire] Yet Another Virtualisation Question

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Yet Another Virtualisation Question
> The current server provides (all internal except where stated):
> External SSH
> Web sites (internal dev sites and one external facing site)
> DNS/DHCP
> Email Fetchmail/Dovecot-IMAP
> NFS

That isn't a whole lot, really, unless you're swamped by the volume of
traffic you're handling...

>     Is it worth creating several virtual servers
>     on the box, given the limited number of users
>     and services?

Doesn't that depend on what you want to do with the box?

If you just want to bring up a few services, then I'd say no.
If you want to learn about virtualisation, then of course it's worth it :-)

If it were me, I'd leave the old server in place, run up a few test
virtualisations, then slowly migrate services across if it went well.

Vic.