Re: [Hampshire] Yet Another Virtualisation Question

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Yet Another Virtualisation Question

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57ff5100.hantslug.org.uk.4348': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Feb 28 20:24:39 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Thursday 28 Feb 2008, Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 04:07:22PM +0000, Dr Adam J Trickett wrote:
> >     Is it worth creating several virtual servers
> >     on the box, given the limited number of users
> >     and services?

> > Learning to use Xen[0] sounds fun and interesting, it's clearly a
> > useful transferable skill, but at the same time these systems with
> > six running VMs on them seems like a lot of administration.
> >
> > [0] Or something similar.
>
>    I'll put my hand up for qemu and one of kqemu or kvm. We run a lot
> of these at work as test boxes. I have several kvm machines on my
> laptop for testing, and a kqemu at home for doing 32-bit kernel builds
> for the "small" boxes dotted around the house.

I'm not wedded to the idea of using Xen. I have run various systems on
Qemu/kqemu in a desktop environment and it works mostly very well, though of
late I've found VirtualBox easier to live with and it seems faster in a GUI
setting.

I've not tried kvm yet, my desktop system is just pre AMD SVM technology,
though the new server does support it. I hear that the kvm is well liked by
Linus and it uses much qemu/kqemu technology.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

"Norton Wipe Info uses hexadecimal values to wipe files.  This
 provides more security than wiping with decimal values."
    -- from the manual of Norton Systemworks 2002, pg 160