[Hampshire] Yet Another Virtualisation Question

Top Page
Author: Dr Adam J Trickett
To: Hants LUG
Subject: [Hampshire] Yet Another Virtualisation Question

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58765100.hantslug.org.uk.17829': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Feb 28 16:07:21 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
Hi,

BACKGROUND:
-----------

Next week I'll be taking delivery of my new home server. It's got
an order of magnitude more CPU grunt, RAM and disk space than the
server it replaces.

The current server provides (all internal except where stated):
External SSH
Web sites (internal dev sites and one external facing site)
DNS/DHCP
Email Fetchmail/Dovecot-IMAP
NFS

It's mostly a toy system and a learning platform, my home network
only consists of five client systems, of which only two are
routinely used. I'll be running Debian on the box.

QUESTION:
---------

    Is it worth creating several virtual servers
    on the box, given the limited number of users
    and services?

Learning to use Xen[0] sounds fun and interesting, it's clearly a
useful transferable skill, but at the same time these systems with
six running VMs on them seems like a lot of administration.

[0] Or something similar.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

My organ doesn't work properly and emits strange burning smells
    -- seen on Usenet