Re: [Hampshire] Yet Another Virtualisation Question

Author: Steve Kemp
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Yet Another Virtualisation Question
On Thu Feb 28, 2008 at 16:07:22 +0000, Dr Adam J Trickett wrote:

> The current server provides (all internal except where stated):
> External SSH
> Web sites (internal dev sites and one external facing site)
> DNS/DHCP
> Email Fetchmail/Dovecot-IMAP
> NFS

That's a lot of services, so I'd say yes. It is worth splitting
them out.

> It's mostly a toy system and a learning platform

Good to know.

> Learning to use Xen[0] sounds fun and interesting, it's clearly a
> useful transferable skill, but at the same time these systems with
> six running VMs on them seems like a lot of administration.

Consider it a chance to toy around with CFEngine, Puppet, or
similar. That way you get to experiment with "remotely managing"
multiple machines whilst still keeping just one.

I own one home machine running up to eight Xen guests, and three
remote dedicated servers. Each of those is configured via CFEngine,
to make sure they have packages I want, and have configuration stuff
setup easily.

Steve
--
http://www.steve.org.uk/