Re: [Hampshire] Yet Another Virtualisation Question

Author: Isaac Close
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Yet Another Virtualisation Question
Dr Adam J Trickett <adam.trickett@???> wrote: Hi,

BACKGROUND:
-----------

Next week I'll be taking delivery of my new home server. It's got
an order of magnitude more CPU grunt, RAM and disk space than the
server it replaces.

The current server provides (all internal except where stated):
External SSH
Web sites (internal dev sites and one external facing site)
DNS/DHCP
Email Fetchmail/Dovecot-IMAP
NFS

It's mostly a toy system and a learning platform, my home network
only consists of five client systems, of which only two are
routinely used. I'll be running Debian on the box.

QUESTION:
---------

Is it worth creating several virtual servers
on the box, given the limited number of users
and services?

Learning to use Xen[0] sounds fun and interesting, it's clearly a
useful transferable skill, but at the same time these systems with
six running VMs on them seems like a lot of administration.

[ dunno if this msg will display correctly as yahoo is quirking abaat]

For the fun factor, indeed its worth it i'd say and for gaining the experience aswell. If you've not needed it before, then i guess you can answer your own question as regards to that.

Personally i'm messing and have done for some time UserModeLinux for commerical environments etc. Its fantastico. Have had a look at xen, though not sure if i like the direction its headed.

But then obivously in Overton people think completely different to those of us here in Whitchurch ;-P hehe

Isaac Close

Sent from Yahoo! Mail.
A Smarter Inbox.