Re: [Hampshire] ISPs (again): Recommendation and warning

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ISPs (again): Recommendation and warning
On 29/02/2008, Sean Gibbins <sean@???> wrote:
> James Ashburner wrote:
> >
> > One of my neighbours Orange broadband stopped working and after
> > serveral phone calls they pretty much told her they weren't interested
> > in fixing it.
> >
> > She switched to Sky and hasn't had a problem since.
>

> I have been with Sky for just over a week and no problems here! :-P
>
> Seriously though, I made a point of calling them first to ensure that
> there would be no issues with running servers, Linux, etc. and was
> seriously underwhelmed by the support folks. I spoke to 4 people over
> the course of a few weeks and at one point was passed back by a baffled
> first line support person to an 'engineer' who had a very poor grasp of
> the terminology, so god knows what he was like with the technology - I
> was not impressed.
>
> The driving factor behind swap the excellent Andrews and Arnold (£27
> pcm) for Sky (£5 pcm) is probably obvious to anyone who has just read
> that statement - price.
>
> AAISP's service used to bomb and reconnect occasionally, but would
> sometimes take up to an hour to re-establish a connection. Sky's has yet
> to fall over, but admittedly that is with a new router connected to new
> kit in the BT exchange. Given that the wireless connectivity in the
> house is now much improved that could be down to my old Zyxel router though.
>

> Sean

I agree with Sean, Sky support for DSL is really bad. Fine if it
works, but if it fails, they are not interested, even when you
actually go and leave sky, they still are not even trying to help fix
the problem and get you back. They even diagnosed the fault and then
were not interested in even trying to fix it!!!

In my view, all the cheap DSL providers have not enough support. You
get what you pay for.

James