Re: [Hampshire] ISPs (again): Recommendation and warning

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ISPs (again): Recommendation and warning
Rob Malpass <rd.malpass@???> wrote:
> 1) I want a largely bog standard home ADSL 2Mb
> connection but I'm fed up of very polite but
> entirely clueless tech folks (see below) wasting
> my time with pointless instructions so, rightly
> or wrongly, I'm looking for an ISP with UK call
> centre tech support.

Zen. I have a 8Mb/448kb connection with them, and
The Society of St. James has seven more - soon to
be ten. Many of those connections have been up
since they were installed.

I've had one problem in the last four years, and
that turned out to be a Netgear router that wasn't
up to the job of handling a VPN. That's the only
time I've had to use their tech support, and it
was in Lancashire. :-)

> I'm thinking of Zen - but didn't I hear (maybe
> on this list) recently that Zen are being taken
> over by someone so we can expect a drop in
> service standards?

Not as far as I know. Are you thinking of Eclipse?

> Apparently Zen give you emails telling you how
> close you are to your limit.

Yes, the first is at 50%. The basic Zen
connections offer 20GB/month for ~UKP 25, or
50GB/month for ~UKP 35.

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.