Re: [Hampshire] ISPs (again): Recommendation and warning

Author: James Ashburner
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ISPs (again): Recommendation and warning
Vic wrote:
>> If so, what ISP
>> would folks recommend for my pretty standard needs?
>
> I'm with Eclipse. I'm fairly pleased with them.
>
> Before I moved last year, the connection was rock-solid. I get to control
> things like rDNS, and there's no messing about with proxies or the like. I
> get an 8Mb connection for £20 a month.
>
> The move was interesting :-). They failed to tell me that if I didn't
> provide the new number at least a month before moving, that would be a
> completely new connection (i.e. I was disconnected for about 10 days). The
> form I filled in implied that they'd liaise with BT to sort that out -
> they don't. BUt at least I didn't have to part with any cash to get the
> new connection (just had to agree to another 12-month contract).
>
> Since moving, I still get an 8Mb connection - but I have had some line
> drops. It's usually <1min at a time, but it's always just when I was doing
> something :-)
>
> As for usage limits - I get up to 30GB a month - but that's only measured
> between 6pm and midnight, so even heavy users like me get plenty.
>
> Vic.

We had all our lines, bar the couple of leased lines we use, with
Eclipse, but their support was awful. Every time we called with a
problem they'd want us to try a different username and password at the
router. We were using cisco kit and there's no way I'm going to try
talking a user on site through changing any details in it.

We've since moved to Community Internet who are very good for anyone
looking for a decent business provider. They manage all our routers
themselves, including adding new sites to the VPN and any connection
issues. Customer service is excellent, unfortunately they don't do
personal connections.

James