Re: [Hampshire] ISPs (again): Recommendation and warning

Top Page
Author: The Holy ettlz
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ISPs (again): Recommendation and warning

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57ffb100.hantslug.org.uk.3994': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Feb 29 11:54:56 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2FF22CF403F94B5D
On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 11:39 +0000, Rob Malpass wrote:

> 1) I want a largely bog standard home ADSL 2Mb connection but I'm fed
> up of very polite but entirely clueless tech folks (see below) wasting
> my time with pointless instructions so, rightly or wrongly, I'm
> looking for an ISP with UK call centre tech support. I'm thinking of
> Zen - but didn't I hear (maybe on this list) recently that Zen are
> being taken over by someone so we can expect a drop in service
> standards? If so, what ISP would folks recommend for my pretty
> standard needs? I'm not into gaming or TV downloading - though an
> unlimited but fair use policy would be good. Apparently Zen give you
> emails telling you how close you are to your limit.

I have to say I've not had any trouble with Tiscali (8 Mbit Max
Unlimited or something; Speedtouch 330 connects at 6.6 Mbit, dedicated
wireless/modem/router thing syncs at the full 8 Mbit, 256 kbit upwards).
They have all sorts of packages and stuff and throw in all sorts of
other things (mainly software offers) that I don't use, but as a basic
pipe it functions fine. I can't say what their tech support is like
because I've never needed it.

Only hiccup was recently when I moved from 2 Mbit and my old hardware
refused to sync. Anyway, that was a problem with my hardware and I was
looking for an excuse to replace it anyway ;)

James

--
The Holy ettlz                              TheHolyettlz@???
PGP key ID: 03F94B5D