Re: [Hampshire] ISPs (again): Recommendation and warning

Author: Clive Woodfine
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] ISPs (again): Recommendation and warning
On 29/02/2008, Rob Malpass <rd.malpass@???> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Two quick things - both related:
>
> 1) I want a largely bog standard home ADSL 2Mb connection but I'm fed up of

I am with Demon who technically seem reliable though the max download
speed I get is 1.6 Mbit but I am at the end off the exchange line.

After paying monthly via Internet Banking (Lloyds) for over 2 years
they claim they have not received my payment for last Nov. After
phoning Bombay and getting nowhere I resorted to letters including a
statement from my bank and other proof but they are still unable to
locate my payment.

Their accounts department is very aggressive with almost daily demands
and threats about cutting me off, using a Credit Collection Agency,
Court proceedings. I now pay by cheque but still get these threatening
letters from their Payment Centre in Glasgow though their Customer
Services in London say they are still trying to locate the missing
money. I don't think there is any communication between departments.

So I too am looking another ISP.

My phone line is with TalkTalk (was Lineone) and I have just received
a letter from them offering free broadband (40GB download per month)
if I upgrade to their Talk2 Total call plan when they are on my
exchange at the end of the month.

Sounds too good to be true. Anyone else have experience of them?

Clive Woodfine