Re: [Hampshire] CD burning verify

Author: alan c
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] CD burning verify
Russell Gadd wrote:
> Hi folks, a novice question. Background- I have taken on board the
> recommendations to use Ubuntu as a desktop system to wean myself off
> windows. I have already had a few months experience of using Debian in gui
> and command line mode. One of the annoyances of Windows is that it does a
> lot of hidden things to try to take the burden off the user, but this is at
> the expense of user control. I'm finding a similar issue in Ubuntu (maybe I
> should look to use a distro that's a bit more basic?)
>
> I have burned a CD iso image with Gnomebaker and wish to verify the burn. I
> also looked at Brasero, but neither app did a verify after burn, which is an
> option I always use in Nero (Windows). However Brasero does have a facility
> to "Check Integrity" which presents a panel which says "use a md5 file to
> check the disc" which expects you to select some file - I presume a file
> which contains an md5 checksum, in what format I don't know. Brasero's help
> is no help on this, also googling didn't find anything.
>
> I then looked for other methods suggested, involving mounting the cd and
> using md5sum to generate a checksum to verify against the .iso file
> checksum. However Ubuntu doesn't allow me to "mount /media/cdrom1" saying
> "mount: No media found", whether I put in a normal CD or an iso image CD (I
> have to admit I don't know the ins and outs of CD formats).
>
> I discover that when you insert a CD in, Ubuntu automatically reads it and
> mounts it, creating a separate directory under /media but using some logic
> to determine how to do this according to what it finds on the CD. It doesn't
> seem to use /media/cdrom even though this is in fstab. So I can't find a way
> to just do a md5 sum on this CD nor do I know how to generate an md5 file
> that Brasero expects.

I use kubuntu mostly, and k3b for burning stuff. It is easy to use in
ubuntu anyway. It also does verification if needed. However, I often
also use md5sum:
(for example) a terminal and use
md5sum /dev/scd1

note that in my case I have 2 CD drives, /dev/scd0 and /dev/scd1

Keep in mind that Ubuntu forums are fast and excellent for ubuntu
related things
--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391