Re: [Hampshire] CD burning verify

Top Page
Author: The Holy ettlz
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] CD burning verify

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56fea100.hantslug.org.uk.3816': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Feb 29 11:15:52 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2FF22CF403F94B5D
On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 11:09 +0000, Russell Gadd wrote:
> I discover that when you insert a CD in, Ubuntu automatically reads it
> and mounts it, creating a separate directory under /media but using
> some logic to determine how to do this according to what it finds on
> the CD. It doesn't seem to use /media/cdrom even though this is in
> fstab. So I can't find a way to just do a md5 sum on this CD nor do I
> know how to generate an md5 file that Brasero expects.

I believe mounting is handled by hal these days. It probably mounts it
to /media/DISC_NAME, whatever the latter happens to be. Same with
external drives, they'll get mounted to something
like /media/VOLUME_NAME.

To get an md5sum file, try

    md5sum image-file.iso > image-checksum.md5

I find the easiest way to test a CD is simply to copy its entire
contents to the hard disc and check the kernel logs (dmesg) for error
messages. If extra paranoid, I'd unpack the ISO image and compare its
contents with the copied files.

You might want to try out k3b. It's rather well-featured.

James

--
The Holy ettlz                              TheHolyettlz@???
PGP key ID: 03F94B5D