Re: [Hampshire] CD burning verify

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] CD burning verify
On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 11:09:36 +0000
"Russell Gadd" <russ.mail.lists@???> wrote:

> Hi folks, a novice question. Background- I have taken on board the
> recommendations to use Ubuntu as a desktop system to wean myself off
> windows. I have already had a few months experience of using Debian
> in gui and command line mode. One of the annoyances of Windows is
> that it does a lot of hidden things to try to take the burden off
> the user, but this is at the expense of user control. I'm finding a
> similar issue in Ubuntu (maybe I should look to use a distro that's
> a bit more basic?)

/me chuckles

> I have burned a CD iso image with Gnomebaker and wish to verify the
> burn. I also looked at Brasero, but neither app did a verify after
> burn, which is an option I always use in Nero (Windows). However
> Brasero does have a facility to "Check Integrity" which presents a
> panel which says "use a md5 file to check the disc" which expects
> you to select some file - I presume a file which contains an md5
> checksum, in what format I don't know. Brasero's help is no help on
> this, also googling didn't find anything.

You can do it the 'proper' way from the command line, Debian uses
wodim for CD burning so I'd use

wodim -v dev=/dev/cdrom speed=4 /home/jayell/downloads/sidux*

where sidux* was an iso I'd downloaded and checked the md5 checksum
against that provided by the Sidux website

wodim has gazillion options but the only one I use is speed=4 as my
cd writer is pretty old and -v to get info on what is going on.

Of course my Debian system still allows me to use /dev/cdrom so can't
help you with anything that other distro does.

--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server