Re: [Hampshire] CD burning verify

Author: john
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] CD burning verify
On Friday 29 February 2008 11:09:36 Russell Gadd wrote:
> Hi folks, a novice question. Background- I have taken on board the
> recommendations to use Ubuntu as a desktop system to wean myself off
> windows. I have already had a few months experience of using Debian in gui
> and command line mode. One of the annoyances of Windows is that it does a
> lot of hidden things to try to take the burden off the user, but this is at
> the expense of user control. I'm finding a similar issue in Ubuntu (maybe I
> should look to use a distro that's a bit more basic?)

I have used k3b and tried to verify what I have written using the facilities
inside the program. I eventually gave up on this as sometimes it would work
and many times it would not.

It is quicker on my system to do a file by file compare rather than use k3b
verify. When I make backups to DVD or CD I create a log file which I back up
onto the medium at the same time. I also make 2 discs rather than one.

When making discs it very important that the discs are checked. You never
know there may be a dye defect on the disc. It does occur. Discs sometimes
have a habit of losing the odd bit during the duration of long storage which
is why I have a log file of SHA's on the same disk. Discs also need to be
stored in the dark.

I had to write a program using windows API to do my disc checking in windows
(7 years ago). It works very well in WINE. This program also can check the
log file on the CD/DVD against the contents of the CD/DVD. This has rescued
me quite a few times.

I would be very interested in a Linux program which would do the same thing.
I have not found one yet.

John Eayrs