[Hampshire] Debian Font Managment

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Debian Font Managment

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57496100.hantslug.org.uk.7287': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Mar 1 19:23:40 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
Hi,

Does anyone know how Debian Lenny (and probably Debian-a-likes) manage fonts
and typefaces?

I have standard fonts installed via aptitude into /usr/share/fonts (various
types) and some odd fonts in /usr/local/share/fonts. Since xorg did away with
most of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file fonts seem to work in X and GUI
applications by magic (defoma I think it's called).

My problem is that I have perfectly usable fonts in both the standard and
local tree that don't show up in certain applications. I believe that X, KDE,
OpenOffice, IceWeasel etc all use their own way of seeing and rendering
fonts.

For example some fonts appear in OpenOffice but not in xfontsel, and vice
versa.

Any good overview document/webpage to suggest?

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
    -- Hanlon's Razor