Re: [Hampshire] Debian Font Managment

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian Font Managment
On Saturday 01 Mar 2008, Adam Trickett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how Debian Lenny (and probably Debian-a-likes)
> manage fonts and typefaces?
>
> I have standard fonts installed via aptitude into /usr/share/fonts
> (various types) and some odd fonts in /usr/local/share/fonts. Since
> xorg did away with most of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file fonts seem
> to work in X and GUI applications by magic (defoma I think it's
> called).
>
> My problem is that I have perfectly usable fonts in both the
> standard and local tree that don't show up in certain applications.
> I believe that X, KDE, OpenOffice, IceWeasel etc all use their own
> way of seeing and rendering fonts.
>
> For example some fonts appear in OpenOffice but not in xfontsel,
> and vice versa.
>
> Any good overview document/webpage to suggest?

Hi Adam,

I hit this a year or two back. Things may have changed since then
(this was in the days of XF86) but after a number of experiments I
came to these conclusions:

a) add font dirs for KDE into /etc/fonts/fonts(local?).conf (then run
fc-cache)
b) add font dirs for everything else (or at least OOo)
into /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 (then restart X)
(for ttcid stuff it’s a line like this:
FontPath "/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType")
c) don't bother with a font server
d) I have absolutely no idea how defoma / dfontmgr works or what it's
for!
e) To add the OpenOffice symbol font to this system:

ln -s /usr/share/fonts/truetype/openoffice/*.ttf
/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType; fc-cache

The full story is at:

http://www.salisburys.net/PetersNotes-TW.html#%5B%5BFonts%20on%20Debian%5D%5D

HTH, Peter