Re: [Hampshire] Printer recommendations sought

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Printer recommendations sought
On Monday 03 Mar 2008, James Courtier-Dutton wrote:

> Don't forget to think about the whole life cost of the printer.
> Lower price printers tend to have more expensive ink resulting in
> more cost over the year.
> I have seen an ink jet printer only able to print 15 pages of
> colour per cartridge, so these turn out to cost about £1 a sheet!!!
>
> So, I normally only use Laser printers, and not inkjet ones.
>
> James

For that reason I use only EPSON printers as you only replace the ink,
not the heads. Using non-EPSON suppliers you can often get cartridges
for <£1. It's a nightmare on Windows because the EPSON driver
complains all the time about non-EPSON ink and refuses to tell you
how much ink is there etc. The Linux driver seems to have a bug
whereby it doesn't complain at all ;-) Some of the newer printers
need replacement cartridges with appropriate chips so check
compatibility carefully. www.inkworldwide.co.uk is good and very
helpful - they can even get their ink to work with Windows after a
fashion!

Peter