Re: [Hampshire] [OTish] PSU/HDD Advice

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire, Northants LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OTish] PSU/HDD Advice

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57e34100.hantslug.org.uk.28060': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Mar 2 04:08:52 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Peter,

On Sat, Mar 01, 2008 at 05:56:33PM -0800, Peter Brooks wrote:
> AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
> 1GB DDR2
> 2 x IDE 300GB in RAID-1
> 1 x bbtv capture card ( three camera inputs )
>
> We will also be adding an m-audio sound card sometime in the future.
>
> The PSU in the machine is currently a cheapo one, I fear adding two
> more hard drives is just asking for trouble.
>
> So if people have got recommendations for a good reliable PSU and
> which brand of hdd's would be good.

Just don't buy cheap tat; I think generally anything in the upper
half of the price range will be OK. I would have thought 450W would
be more than adequate for 4x7500 RPM SATA drives but there is not
much harm in overspeccing a little.

My servers generally have 4x7200RPM SATA drives and a RAID
controller and it fits comfortably in 350W PSU.

Try to make sure you get a PSU that is certified as "80 PLUS" --
this means that at various loads the PSU is at least 80% efficient
in what it draws compared to what it provides (the rest being heat),
and that it has a power factor of at least 0.9. I have seen cheap
PSUs go as low as 0.6PF, meaning they will draw almost 1.7 times
what it needs to supply.

As for HDD brand, everyone has their favourites and their horror
stories. I've been burnt by Maxtor in the past and generally prefer
Seagate these days (yes I am aware that Seagate now owns the Maxtor
brand).

It's easy to find Seagate drives with a 5 year warranty and the one
failure I've had in the last ~3 years was relatively painless to
deal with. Also they do "RAID edition" 7200RPM drives that are
intended to be run 24 hours a day for only about 20 quid more.

I'm sure other manufacturers have similar, but that's my preference.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB

My words are my own and do not represent Jacqui Caren.