Re: [Hampshire] [OTish] PSU/HDD Advice

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OTish] PSU/HDD Advice
On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 04:08:52 +0000 (+0000), Andy Smith wrote:
[snip]
> Just don't buy cheap tat; I think generally anything in the upper
> half of the price range will be OK. I would have thought 450W would
> be more than adequate for 4x7500 RPM SATA drives but there is not
> much harm in overspeccing a little.

We have a dev server in the office which has run fine for about a year
now - I think case+PSU was £15 but I can't imagine it's that
efficient. At home, I wanted a quiet PSU and I've been very happy
with my Seasonic-S12 (650W IIRC, I wanted 550W but they had sold out).

> It's easy to find Seagate drives with a 5 year warranty and the one
> failure I've had in the last ~3 years was relatively painless to
> deal with. Also they do "RAID edition" 7200RPM drives that are
> intended to be run 24 hours a day for only about 20 quid more.

I've generally gone with Western Digital based on performance
(storagereview.com is a good site). Note that throughput is the least
of your worries, seek time and real benchmarks are better (but then
they do unfortunately tune the disks for the benchmarks...)

Adrian
--
Email: adrian@??? -*- GPG key available on public key servers
Debian GNU/Linux - the maintainable distribution -*- www.debian.org