Re: [Hampshire] [OT] DVD playback on computers no good

Author: Isaac Close
To: johnrhunt, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] DVD playback on computers no good

--- John Hunt <johnrhunt@???> wrote:

> Call me crazy, but I've noticed that dvd playback on
> a variety of
> computers never seems as good as a dedicated device.
>
> The problem is that when a nice mountain scene is
> panning (lord of the
> rings/two towers) for example, it's not really
> 'choppy', but it isn't
> perfectly smooth. You can tell the computer isn't
> struggling to play it,
> and I've found this happens on all my machines,
> everything from a brand
> new core 2 duo dell under vlc/mplayer etc to an old
> celeron-m 1.4ghz and
> even on windows xp with a fairly high spec machine.
> This also occurs on
> various displays.

Dunno, but it seems to me that computers are forever
getting slower !

About 4 years or so ago i had a P4 1.6HGz with an 17"
Compaq CRT and it was the best dvd quality i had ever
seen. At the time i was working in a sony centre and
was constantly bemused as to why expensive vaio's dvd
playback was worse than my system.

That said, on my laptop now, lord of the rings plays
very well, but its just not quite there, and yup the
mountain paning has an ever so slight flicker.

Who knows, i reckon its the screem refresh, mine must
be about 5 years old LCD. CRT refresh seems to
syncronise with my eyes better ;-)

I'm really annoyed at the moment why the god damn
flash player in firefox is eating almost all cpu time.
Thinking of trying out gnash (gnu flash player).

Ramble, ramble

Isaac Close.

now.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/