[Hampshire] Virtual Machine questions

Author: Russell Gadd
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: [Hampshire] Virtual Machine questions
A general and a specific question on VM's.

I have started to run Ubuntu 7.10 on my home desktop and want to use a VM as
a "sandbox" for browsing the internet. Currently I use Firefox with NoScript
to avoid possible scripting malware, but I find myself allowing scripting a
lot as most sites seem to use it. I have used VMware Player in Windows with
their "Browser Appliance" (runs Ubuntu as guest OS).

General question: is VMWare Player appropriate here or is there a different
VM package which I should try?

The sort of facilities I would like are
    suspend and resume at will
    switch between working in and out of VM with mouse / keyboard
    copy and paste text between browser and host text editor
    import / export files between host OS and VM

Specific question: has anyone got VMware Player to install under Ubuntu 7.10?
If so, how to do it?

I have downloaded and run through the install script, but am having trouble
with vmware-config.pl. It gets to "None of the pre-built vmmon modules for
VMware Player is suitable for your kernel. .." and tries to build it, but
doesn't find "linux/version.h" with a suggestion that I might want to
recompile my kernel. I asked on the VMware forums but I got a one line
response that I need to recompile the kernel. However I don't understand how
compiling a kernel can generate a header file, which I understand is source
code - I suppose there may be some preprocessing which generates headers
(... probably just displaying my ignorance). Mixing metaphors, I don't want
to pick up a sledgehammer which may be taking me down a blind alley. In any
event, Ubuntu is not one of the supported distros, so this may all be in
vain. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Russell