Re: [Hampshire] Virtual Machine questions

Author: Jack Knight
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Virtual Machine questions
Russell Gadd wrote:
> A general and a specific question on VM's.
>
> I have started to run Ubuntu 7.10 on my home desktop and want to use a
> VM as a "sandbox" for browsing the internet. Currently I use Firefox
> with NoScript to avoid possible scripting malware, but I find myself
> allowing scripting a lot as most sites seem to use it. I have used
> VMware Player in Windows with their "Browser Appliance" (runs Ubuntu
> as guest OS).
>
> General question: is VMWare Player appropriate here or is there a
> different VM package which I should try?
>
> The sort of facilities I would like are
>     suspend and resume at will
>     switch between working in and out of VM with mouse / keyboard
>     copy and paste text between browser and host text editor
>     import / export files between host OS and VM

> Specific question: has anyone got VMware Player to install under
> Ubuntu 7.10? If so, how to do it?
>
> I have downloaded and run through the install script, but am having
> trouble with vmware-config.pl. It gets to "None of the pre-built vmmon
> modules for VMware Player is suitable for your kernel. .." and tries
> to build it, but doesn't find "linux/version.h" with a suggestion that
> I might want to recompile my kernel. I asked on the VMware forums but
> I got a one line response that I need to recompile the kernel. However
> I don't understand how compiling a kernel can generate a header file,
> which I understand is source code - I suppose there may be some
> preprocessing which generates headers (... probably just displaying my
> ignorance). Mixing metaphors, I don't want to pick up a sledgehammer
> which may be taking me down a blind alley. In any event, Ubuntu is not
> one of the supported distros, so this may all be in vain. Any
> suggestions would be welcome.
>
> Russell

Hi.

You need the any-any kernel libraries.

The following link tells you how to do it:
http://howtoforge.com/ubuntu_feisty_fawn_vmware_server_howto

However for what you want I'd suggest /either /the paid for VMWare
workstation, the only player version which does anything with snapshots
is "vmware server" and that's a bit limited.

Or of course my personal favourite, VirtualBox. It's free, does multiple
snapshots, has lots of tweakable options and IMHO is faster than VMWare.
You can also choose the OSS edition and look at the source if you want,
or the binary edition which just installs on Ubuntu as a package. Simple.

Cheers,

jfk