Re: [Hampshire] "Can't live without..."

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] "Can't live without..."
* Jon Wilks (jonnyx10e3@???) wrote:
> At the risk of evoking groans all round. I would find it hard to work
> without vim. Not just because it is my editor of choice but also
> because of the various add-ons that have proved useful to me over the
> years like the outliner, GTD (prioritised task list generator) and
> scripting support.
>
> Jon Wilks.

I would agree that vim is up there. I like the fact that I can run
it in Windows. Also, cygwin allows me to have a familiar shell when
I am forced to run Windows.

Now that the initial enthusiasm for using Linux has wained a little,
I appreciate Ubuntu doing a lot of the work of setting up a system the
way I like. Having a sensible base to work from makes using Linux
easier. Also, other members of the family can use it without any hand
holding.

Gnuplot is my friend at the moment. I am able to produce graphs that
follow a consistent style. It also avoids the silly limits on number
of rows that the most common spreadsheet has.

On a similar vain, LaTeX helps me to produce good looking reports
that avoid the random oddness that the most common word processor
seems to want to inflict on me.

--
        _
    ,--(_)