Re: [Hampshire] "Can't live without..."

Author: Philip Stubbs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] "Can't live without..."
* Ottavio Caruso (tat07x202@???) wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Mar 2008 10:13:49 +0000, "Philip Stubbs" <philip@???>
> said:
> >
> > Now that the initial enthusiasm for using Linux has wained a little,
> > I appreciate Ubuntu doing a lot of the work of setting up a system the
> > way I like.
>
> Maybe the two thngs are related? My enthusiam for Limux has increased
> since using Slackware....

I don't think I expressed myself very well there. When I first
started to use Linux, I found great satisfaction just being able to
install a system and configuring it. People would ask what I do on
the computer and it would be quite hard explaining that I was just
installing or whatever. I tried Linux From Scratch, and that was
really great fun.

Now, I don't want to be spending so much time setting up the system.
I want a system that just works! Before Ubuntu, I was using Debian,
so for me, Ubuntu has given me a great Debian based system, with
some sensible defaults already pre-configured. I still have all the
power and flexibility that I may need, but a clean install gives me
a working environment.

In fact, I believe that Ubuntu is the first GNU/Linux distribution
that I would be happy to install on a novices PC, and be fairly
confident that they could get stuff done without lots of hand
holding.

--
        _
    ,--(_)