Re: [Hampshire] Virtual Machine questions

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Virtual Machine questions
On Tuesday 11 March 2008 17:41:14 Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Russell Gadd wrote:
> >> Darn, was hoping for a quick-fix there!
> >>
> >> What version of Ubuntu Gutsy are you using Russell - 32-bit or
> >> 64-bit? I am a little curious as to what might be missing from your
> >> build that is preventing a successful installation via the repositories.
> >>
> >> Sean
> >
> > This is 32 bit. See the post from James below - this might be the
> > problem. However I have managed to install it ok on Debian Etch just
> > using aptitude and it seems to be working - hopefully I can install an
> > OS now. No doubt there will be other issues.
>
> Well, curious all the same that the dependency wasn't satisfied on your
> system but it was on mine.
>
> > So I will drop the Ubuntu effort for now. Actually there's now another
> > reason I might switch to using Etch instead of Ubuntu, which I might
> > post about in another thread in the near future. Thanks for your
>
> NP - good luck with Etch - I have it running in a VM on my Ubunto [sic]
> machine.
>
> <john sprays his tea across the room>
>
> sean

I am running Mepis 7 which is based on Debian Etch, I installed Virtualbox
from the etch repo and then installed Linux Mint 4 as a guest in virtualbox.
It took two attempts as the first install bombed at 95%, it could not see the
CD Drive! Mint is a live DVD (its 990mb+) which I just booted to the live CD
and then clicked install on the desktop.

Hope it helps

Tim