Re: [Hampshire] Downloading MP4s from the BBC iPlayer

Author: Jim Kissel
To: adam.trickett, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Downloading MP4s from the BBC iPlayer

>>> http://exploringfreedom.org/2008/03/08/bbc-iplayer-on-gnu-linux-without-f
>>> lash-using-only-free-software/
>>>
>>> for details.
>> Everything works as advertised. I can the <object in the firebug window.
>> I just can figure out how to cut/navigate to the firebug window.
>> Everytime I move the mouse, I loose the contect of the iPlayer window.
>>
>> I would just type in the wget command, but I can't see the entire url.
>>
>> suggestions please
>
> Firebug, very powerful, but sometimes a pain. I can't remember what I do, but
> I'm sure with careful pressing of the shift or ctrl key I got the pointer to
> move without changing the focus. Alternatively just add the UnPlug Firefox
> extension - which is much simpler all round.

Thanks for the hint. Hold down the left mouse button while moving the
mouse away from the "media window" worked for me. Managed to cut the
firebug data, but it doesn't appear match the description.

<a class="abp-objtab visible ontop"
href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/emp/flash/iplayer-external.swf"
style="left: 512px ! important; top: 1px ! important;"/>
<embed id="emp" width="512" height="323"
flashvars="config=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/emp/xml/config.xml&metafile=http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/metafiles/episode/b0094yyp.xml&debug=false&bbc_uid=
4487ab370023eab4c7a902acb1cf0f47d3744aefa0a0c09b0cadfd0245b6131"
allowfullscreen="true" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" name="emp"
style=""
src="http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/emp/flash/iplayer-external.swf"
type="application/x-shockwave-flash"/>

The "how to" suggests that one should find something like
http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/3/auth/iplayerstreaminghttp_mp4/b00937tc
But I can't see anything similar.

Have I missed something?

--
People choose Microsoft Windows for their PC in the same manner
that the citizens of Soviet Russia elected the General Secretary

Jim Kissel
Open Source Migrations Limited
w: http://www.osml.eu
e: jim.kissel@???