Re: [Hampshire] Bridging networks on Ubuntu 7.10

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: johnrhunt, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Bridging networks on Ubuntu 7.10

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56e89100.hantslug.org.uk.3899': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Mar 15 10:41:56 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 01:03:12PM +1100, John Hunt wrote:
> What I want to do is simply bridge the wireless eth1 to a virtual
> machine. All seems well when I create my bridge (br0), create a virtual
> interface tap0 and then tell the bridge to bridge eth1 to tap0. I've
> also tried using VirtualBox's VBoxAddIF instead of using a tun/tap
> device, but that gave the same result.

How are you creating the tap0? Are you sure it's connected to the
VM? Can you give it a static IP address and ping the VM with it? (And
vice-versa).

Try giving the tap0 an IP address of 192.168.73.1/255.255.255.0,
and the corresponding interface in the guest an address of
192.168.73.2/255.255.255.0, then ping each interface from both sides.
That will tell you if you've got some form of network running in the
first place. Then you can move on to getting bridging working.

> I've checked my dmesg, tried eth1 in promisc mode, tried dhcp and static
> IPs on the bridge etc. And in the VM I've tried static and dhcp
> configurations on the same and different subnets. It's been a long week
> of messing around not getting anywhere.
>
> I've come to a point where I'm thinking perhaps my hardware simply
> doesn't support bridging? Or perhaps there's blindingly obvious that I'm
> missing? In my mind, and on these guides I've followed it seems like it
> should be fairly simple...

As far as I know, the bridging implementation is entirely in
software, so there's no hardware support to go missing.

Hugo.

                        --- argc, argv, argh! ---