Re: [Hampshire] Netgear router problems with NSLU2

Author: Simon Reap
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Netgear router problems with NSLU2
I have the same setup here (Slug and Netgear router).

Cayenne-uk wrote:
> I suspect that the netgear isn't accepting the slug connection because it is
> outside of the IP range, which cannot be extended to cover it.

The Netgear IP range is just the ones *it* will assign using DHCP. It
doesn't limt the addresses it will route.

> It looks like I will have to try using Ubuntu to connect direct, an alter
> the IP addy to be in range

The problem you have is, I think, one of subnetting. Your linux and XP
machines are all on the Netgear's default subnet, 192.168.0.x, while the
Slug is on the 192.168.1.x subnet, and a machine on one subnet will not
normally see one on the other, even if they are connected directly together.

What I did was temporarily assign a second IP address to the Ethernet
card on my Linux box:
    ifconfig eth0:1 192.168.1.10
I could then access the default 192.168.1.77 address on the SLUG, and
change it's IP address to 192.168.0.77 through the Web interface.  After
that, I could see it from any box on the LAN.

Simon