Re: [Hampshire] Unsupported Etch updates

Author: Russell Gadd
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unsupported Etch updates
Russell Gadd wrote:
> Graham Bleach wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>
>> I compile software myself when I need a particular version and try
>> using the distribution-supplied package when it catches up. I don't
>> like having to update many bits of software myself, so I don't
>> generally bother unless it is important to me. I don't remember
>> compiling things myself ever causing me an issue during upgrades.
>>
>> If Gnucash is well put together and well documented, then it shouldn't
>> be too hard. You need to be prepared to read the documentation (the
>> convention is to start with the README) and possibly install a few
>> packages that are needed to build it. Whether you want to spend the
>> time is up to you :)
>>

> This is the sort of comment I was after. Thanks for your response,
> Graham, I appreciate it.
>
> Russell

Hi Graham,

Just to update this, I built the latest Gnucash from source this
morning. I used a combination of the Gnucash's web documentation (which
was based on using a Debian repository for the source - useful for
installing the required compiler stuff and dependencies, but I failed to
get it to work from here) and the original sourceforge download
documentation. As it succeeded it was a good experience and gave me a
bit more confidence in maybe doing this for other things.

Again thanks for your push in this direction.

Russell