Re: [Hampshire] Disk images and virtualisation

Author: Isaac Close
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Disk images and virtualisation

Charlie de Courcy <Charles.De-Courcy@???> wrote:

Hugo Mills said the following on 19/03/08 20:55:
> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 08:04:03PM +0000, John Lewis wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 10:59:19 +0000
>> Dr Adam J Trickett wrote:
>>

>>> I found using physical media a pain and I convert phyiscal media
>>> into iso files, or simply use a downloaded iso file directly
>>> without bothering to burn it to CD. It has the twin advantage of
>>> being both a lot faster and more reliable than read CD/DVDs. Both
>>> VirtualBox and Qemu are happy to mount iso files as CD/DVDs.
>>>
>> trouble is you can't easily get hold of xp.iso or vista.iso
>>

>    Stick disk in drive. "dd if=dev/cdrom of=xp.iso bs=2048". All done.

>    Hugo.

Took a while to find the Windows 3.1 images though...!     How very
pointless and retro, good for 10 mins though :)

I used to quite like windows 3.1, although that was ever such a long time ago, hehe. Some people still use it now ! I still have the disks archived away someplace along with my 486 DX5 133 with VLB SVGA for when i'm bored at some point in 2027 :)

anyway, back to work

Isaac Close

Rise to the challenge for Sport Relief with Yahoo! for Good