[Hampshire] Wireless network card (PCI)

Author: Peter Brooks
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: [Hampshire] Wireless network card (PCI)
After advice from a fellow user to get a zxytel usb wireless dongle in
my previous naive wireless state (ie I didn't use any wireless prior
to a few months ago, I like cables). It worked with their Gentoo but
didn't work with the machine I was using it for.

I think I've gone through about 12 different kernels to try and get
it working, there's one more to try before I give up with this dongle
and sell/throw it out of the window.

The problem lies deep within the kernel and some bugs which mean
features aren't available when wpa_supplicant tries to auth.

After now some reading I've found out that it was completely unwise to
go USB with the level of support that exists, so I'm looking to get a
PCI card. The main reason I went USB in the first place was to be able
to position the dongle on the end of a very long USB cable.
Our reasons for this is that the machine itself sits under some very
large concrete stairs in a cleaners storage room.

So if anyone can give me recommendations for a PCI card, preferred
with detachable antenna that can be on the end of a long cable.

Cheers

--
Peter Brooks