Re: [Hampshire] Bash pipe creates infinite loop - why?

Author: Richard Brown
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Bash pipe creates infinite loop - why?
On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 12:12 PM, Russell Gadd
<russ.mail.lists@???> wrote:
> I am at a loss to understand how you can passphrase the key without
> having the key in the first place - chicken and egg problem, unless you
> use a different method of encrypting the key?

What you seem to be proposing is that you bcrpyt a file using a key,
give the key to someone else, and that they can use the key and a
readme file to decrypt the file in the event of your untimely demise.

What Bob is saying is:

You could create a pgp keypair, put your secret key on the disc with
the readme, and then instead of telling the third party the "key", you
tell them the passphrase to unlock your secret key. As Bbob said, the
disk would only be as secure as your passphrase in that instance.

If you're going with an envelope a the solicitor's there's no reason
you can't encrypt your data on one disk with pgp and give the
solicitor the secret key on another disc and passphrase at the same
time. Although I'm not sure I'd trust a cd with that sort of stuff.

Regards,
--
Richard Brown