Re: [Hampshire] Unscrupulous ISPs

Author: Jacqui Caren
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Unscrupulous ISPs
Rob Malpass wrote:
    Either that or run a routine

> daemon I guess ;-

s/routine/routing/?

routing tables - route the ntlhell mail subnet across the nthell line.

i.e.

/sbin/route add -net 81.103.221.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 gw <ntl-ip> ethN

where
ethN is the interface plugged into yout nthell line.
and
<ntl-ip> is the IP of this interface.

I had(have but house re-wiring means it is down) a work DSL and have to
do this with my home cable to ensure mail can be read.

It even works with openVPN!

Jacqui

p.s. I use shorewall to ensure that traffic between external interfaces
is disallowed - this is requried with some of the crud that hits my
firewall - mostly from the cable but sporidically from the soon to be
Zen'd BT DSL.

Evidently migration to Zen stopped most of the 'crap' being allowed thru
the work BT dsl - both 'business'.

You don't realise just how incompetent (and infectious!) BT are until
you take on business DSL provision from someone like Zen.