[Hampshire] Migrating distros (was: 64-bit graphics drivers)

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Migrating distros (was: 64-bit graphics drivers)
Hi all

I'm running FC8 in 32-bit mode on one of my boxes because I couldn't find 64-bit drivers for my graphics card (GeForce 8800 I think - need to open it up to be 100% sure - lspci's coming up with Nvidia unknown). Even so doing, the graphcis card to work even in 32-bit mode took a lot of help from this list. I know (courtesy of an Ubuntu 8 beta Live x64 CD) that X works (albeit in 800x600x16) on the same box so, having decided I prefer Ubuntu to Fedora, I want to migrate the box to Ubuntu64.

What's the best approach here? Ditch my FC8 32-bit xorg.conf or can I (I doubt it but you never know) "plug" my FC8 32-bit xorg.conf into my Ubuntu64's /etc/X11 and install the appropriate drivers?

Cheers
Rob