[Hampshire] Hants server experiencing problems

Author: john lewis
To: HantsLUG
Subject: [Hampshire] Hants server experiencing problems
On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 12:24:25 +0100
Alan Pope <alan@???> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 12:16:37PM +0100, john lewis wrote:
> > All I needed to install were geneweb, apache2, mc and apt-cacher
> > and then copy over the files for geneweb and the Kingsclere
> > website. Once I had ownership/permissions sorted out I could
> > access the databases and the website by using the IP address.
> >

> Why apt-cacher? Bitfolk provide an apt-cache already.

/etc/apt/sources.list does include settings that make use of the
bitfolk cache but I got an error message when trying to do an aptitude
update/safe-upgrade to the effect I didn't have permission to use the
cache

Once apt-cacher was installed the error message went away but there
are still problems trying to use the bitfolk cache, For example I
tried to install mysql-server in readiness for installing gallery2
(which incidentally has just been removed form lenny - bum!) and got
the error 'Couldn't find package mysql-server'

reverting to straight sources (ie minus the
apt-cacher.lon.bitfolk.com/debian/ part) mysql-server installed
without problems.

I haven't previously used apt-cacher but if it does what it says
on the tin then it makes sense to save on 'download bandwidth'. Not
that I anticipate exceeding the allowance once I have everything set
up.
--
John Lewis
Debian (Sid) & the GeneWeb genealogical data server