Re: [Hampshire] Mint

Author: Jack Knight
To: richard, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Mint
Richard Setford wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone tried Mint, the Ubuntu/Debian alternative?

Hi there Richard.

Yes, my better half has used it for over 6 months after I persuaded her
out of 'doze, and I'm installing a later version of it now as a VM under
Ubuntu Hardy on my main laptop to play with. The menu system is almost
too simple for ex windows users to navigate - my Wife's question was
when initially confused by the interface, "Oh, is that all you have to
do? I thought it would be more complicated than that".
> I have a dual boot PC (Ubuntu 7.10/Windows XP Pro) which I thinking of
> would it be to remove the Ubuntu installation and replace it with Mint?

It's actually pretty nice - certainly worth a look. Have a play with a
LiveCD and see if you get on with the interface before jumping. How hard
it is to replace your current distro depends largely on how you have it
set up - e.g do you have a seperate /home partition, any nonstandard
apps etc.?

Cheers,

jfk