Re: [Hampshire] OpenMoko/Freerunner

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OpenMoko/Freerunner

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x581e1100.hantslug.org.uk.18223': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Apr 14 14:29:40 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 02:15:51PM +0100, Chris Smith wrote:
> Hugo Mills wrote:
> >
> >    One thing that's been mentioned is that they'll be selling a
> > 10-pack as well as individual phones -- this brings the cost per unit
> > down from $399 to $369, and will also save significantly on shipping.
> > If anyone wants to put together a group of people to buy one of these
> > 10-packs, I've set up a wiki page[4] to express your interest.

> I note from the wiki page some uncertainty over the Euro price. Is
> there any reason to believe that the Euro price won't follow the
> exchange rate?

Yes, unfortunately. It won't be a direct dollar-to-euro conversion,
I think.

Import duties, VAT, ROHS and required warranties all add to the
Euro price. This has been discussed quite extensively on the Openmoko
community mailing list in the last month. I hope that some degree of
sanity and consistency emerges soon. They're doing as much as possible
in the open, so the details change frequently.

I'll try to keep the wiki page up to date with the latest official
news on release dates, prices, and what you'll be getting. Even the
contents of the retail pack are still under discussion at the moment
-- the only certain thing is that you'll get a Freerunner in it;
everything else (stylus, screen protector, charger, sleeve, headset,
memory card) is still up in the air.

> I've added my name to the list, as it's been quite some since I indulged
> in an impulse buy. :)

:)

Hugo.

     --- "I don't like the look of it,  I tell you." "Well, stop ---
                          looking at it, then."