[Hampshire] Problems with Debian - memory and mouse

Author: Peter Alefounder
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Problems with Debian - memory and mouse

I am using Debian 4.0r1, on a machine with 1GB RAM and a USB
mouse.

Just in the past day or two, I have had problems with the mouse: it
gets into a state where moving it no longer causes the cursor on
the screen to move, although the scroll wheel still works and I
think the buttons do as well (but I can't move the cursor to test
them properly). Restarting the machine with the keyboard restores
mouse function - after any programs that were running have restarted.

On investigating this, I examined, among other things,
/var/log/messages and found no clue as to what is going wrong with
the mouse, but it seems that Debian has never been making all my
RAM available for use:

debian kernel: Warning only 896MB will be used.
debian kernel: Use a HIGHMEM enabled kernel.
debian kernel: 896MB LOWMEM available.

The System Monitor program says:
User memory 885.5 MiB.
Up to now, I had assumed that the rest of the memory, not seen by the
System Monitor, was being used by the OS, but it appears that this is not
the case. Should all 1GB (or a litle less) be available? If so, how do I
enable the rest? A google search reveals that others have noticed this,
but I have found no answers.

I would be grateful for any advice about the mouse as well.

/var/log/messages has this to say about it:
debian kernel: input: PS/2+USB Mouse as /class/input/input1
debian kernel: input: USB HID v1.11 Mouse [PS/2+USB Mouse] on usb-0000:00:11.2-2

Peter Alefounder.

http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/