Re: [Hampshire] Problems with Debian - memory and mouse

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: p_alefounder, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Problems with Debian - memory and mouse

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57a5e100.hantslug.org.uk.11159': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Apr 16 22:06:24 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 05:20:50PM +0000, Peter Alefounder wrote:
> On investigating this, I examined, among other things,
> /var/log/messages and found no clue as to what is going wrong with
> the mouse, but it seems that Debian has never been making all my
> RAM available for use:
>
> debian kernel: Warning only 896MB will be used.
> debian kernel: Use a HIGHMEM enabled kernel.
> debian kernel: 896MB LOWMEM available.
>
> The System Monitor program says:
> User memory 885.5 MiB.
> Up to now, I had assumed that the rest of the memory, not seen by the
> System Monitor, was being used by the OS, but it appears that this is not
> the case. Should all 1GB (or a litle less) be available? If so, how do I
> enable the rest? A google search reveals that others have noticed this,
> but I have found no answers.

Simple solution: If this is a 64-bit capable machine, use a 64-bit
kernel.

If it's a 32-bit-only machine, then you'll need a highmem-enabled
kernel, exactly as it says in the warning message.

Basically, what happens is that the kernel is only set up to be
able to access 1GiB of address space for user-space processes. This is
done because it's easier (and slightly faster) to do it that way. The
consequence is that you get rather less than the full 1GiB of space
available to work with, as a result of things like the memory hole for
PCI mappings, and low memory reserved for kernel usage and so forth.

A 64-bit machine has a far larger address space to work with, and
so you can lose the "reserved" areas of address space in areas where
you don't need to map RAM into.

On 32-bit machines, highmem-enabled kernels alter the way that
kernel accesses memory, and allows the use of up to about 3.5GiB of
physical RAM. It causes a small performance hit to do so. There's also
a 64GiB option for very large machines, with a much larger performance
hit.

Hugo.

                 --- emacs: Eats Memory and Crashes. ---